Researchers and experts in neuropsychological assessment and rehabilitation, physiotherapy, information and communication technologies, robotics, nutrition, music therapy, sexology present in this Promoting healthy aging – Innovating for dementia, aging assessment and intervention course from the University of Almeria the latest trends for the intervention in the alterations associated with the development of dementia in aging and its prevention through factors that promote healthy aging.
The demographic change foreseen for the coming years leads us to a markedly aged society in a short/medium term, especially in the most developed countries. A direct consequence of population aging is the decrease in the quality of life and health status of the population, highlighting the increase in the incidence of cases of dementia such as Alzheimer’s disease.
In the absence of definitive pharmacological solutions for the treatment of cognitive deterioration and dementia, a multidisciplinary approach is currently proposed as a preventive measure aiming to promote active and healthy aging.
Likewise, evaluation, monitoring, and treatment of cognitive, emotional or social interaction problems in neurological pathologies associated with aging require the involvement of different disciplines, from neuropsychology to robotics, through nutrition, music, physiotherapy or information technologies, among others.
- To know the appropriate tools for neuropsychological assessment and intervention in aging.
- To know how new technologies (robotics, virtual reality, wearables) promote healthy aging
- and help intervention in people with cognitive impairment and dementia at different levels.
- To know which factors promote healthy aging as a strategy to increase the quality of life of the elderly and prevent cognitive decline and dementia.
Students must choose between English and Spanish according to their preferences. In that way, depending on the demand and the number of students, the course will be taught in one, another or both English and Spanish language.
- Week 1: Introduction
- Week 2: Neurobiology of healthy and pathological aging
- Week 3: Psychological changes associated with aging and neurological pathology
- First Quiz
- Week 4: How our lifestyle influences aging
- Week 5: Cognitive reserve and aging
- Week 6: Normal aging vs. cognitive impairment: how to detect it.
- Week 7: Daily work with Alzheimer’s patients